These days I’m trying hard to be proactive in my food choices – for the most part this means planning ahead, consciously choosing ingredients that can be sourced locally and following or creating flavourful, veggie filled recipes.
Dinner from last night was definitely one that’ll be repeated… we picked up some locally grown potatoes and asparagus at our farmers market over the weekend. I was scratching my head, wondering how to combine them in something more interesting than your usual roast potatoes and plain old asparagus, when lo and behold I stumbled over this gem of a recipe in one of our Jamie Oliver books.
I haven’t included the basic pasta recipe – that’s for an upcoming post – but it is something I make often. Once you know how and if you have the right equipment (a kitchen aid and pasta attachment!), its so worth the extra twenty minutes.
This was a super easy dinner to put together, even though it sounds and looks way more complicated than it is! Give it a try, I promise you won’t regret it.
I halved the recipe as I was only cooking for two, but you could make the whole thing and freeze them for another night – which in retrospect is what I should have done 🙂
Ravioli of Minted Asparagus with Potatoes & Mascarpone
- 225g potatoes, peeled
- 680g asparagus, bases trimmed
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 good handful of mint, leaves picked and chopped
- fresh pasta
- 2 knobs of butter
- 2 heaped tablespoons of mascarpone cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cook potatoes in salted boiling water until tender and drain.
- Remove tips of asparagus and set aside.
- Finely slice the asparagus stalks and fry with the garlic in a little olive oil until tender, placing a lid on the pan.
- Remove from the heat, add the potato and mash together. Season and add half the chopped mint.
- Fill your ravioli with a heaped teaspoon of filling (I’ll write more about this in a later post) and cook in salted boiling water with the asparagus tips for 3-4 minutes.
- Drain and toss the ravioli and asparagus tips with the butter, mascarpone, parmesan and the rest of the mint.
- Serve and enjoy!